Taken from Francis Chan’s Crazy Love:
- People who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back.
- People who are obsessed with Jesus aren’t consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God’s kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress.
- People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another. Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to Him.
- Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth. As Martin Luther put it, “There are two days on my calendar: this day and that day”
- A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the sin of pride is always a battle. Obsessed people know that you can never be “humble enough,” and so they seek to make themselves less known and Christ more known.
- Obsessed people do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people.
- People who are obsessed with God are known as givers, not takers. Obsessed people genuinely think that others matter as much as they do, and they are particularly aware of those who are poor around the world.
These quotations are summaries of different parts of this chapter. These are only about half of them. The chapter is very convicting as it demonstrates what Christians who are obsessed with Jesus should look like.
I’m praying that the Lord will open my eyes to needs around me (physical and spiritual) so that others will view me as completely obsessed with Jesus. Or even better, that no one will see these actions but the needy will simply have their needs met through me.
Maybe I’ll post the other statements from this book on another day…