Happy Birthday to me! I turn 26 today, which feels pretty crazy! I feel so old! even though I know, I know 26 isn’t that old…
One of my friends called it “late twenties,” and I was shocked. LATE TWENTIES. My sister reassured me that the years 24-26 are actually your MID-twenties, and the late twenties don’t start until 27. So I guess I still have a year to adjust to this.
25 was a strange year. I came back from Europe the day before my 25th birthday, and I realized a few things. I knew I didn’t want to go back to work. I knew I needed freedom to travel more, or I needed freedom to stay home in my adorable little house more. I knew my commute was too long to feel this way, and it simply wasn’t sustainable.
My husband said I hadn’t been happy about work in over a year, and something needed to change. My sister told me either to change myself or change my job, but no one wanted to see me unhappy. It was obvious if I didn’t find a new job I would just have to leave my current one. Eric said we would figure out how to pay for everything, but I needed to make a change.
So halfway through the year, I decided to restart my career. And I feel like I’m 22 again, sometimes with no idea what I’m doing.
I know I’m not alone in feeling like this. Most 20-somethings in this job climate feels the same way. But I’m still frustrated, because backtracking is just annoying. You’re constantly asking yourself, “why didn’t I think of this before??”
Changing your life isn’t fun. Realizing your dream job isn’t actually your dream is hard. Sometimes “hustle” isn’t the answer, because you’re hustling in the wrong direction.
If you need help making this kind of change, read Do Over by Jon Acuff. But read with caution, because you might want to leave your job when your finished.
But the second half of the year saw a lot of improvement (and it went by SO FAST):
- I’m writing every day. Last year, I could barely write 100 words for a blog post.
- I don’t cry as often (crying is just part of my personality, but I was crying all. the. time)
- I’m getting more sleep each day (this makes EVERYTHING better)
- I see my husband in the morning (he was always asleep when I left for work in the morning)
- I’ve been blogging consistently about SEWING, not just any random topic and craft.
- Everyone tells me I look happier (this is just weird)
So I guess 25 was a success.
I think I’m excited about being 26. I have a lot planned, and I know what I want to change.
Here are a few things that are happening:
- Whole30: starting July 5! No way I was missing out on pie!
- Runner’s World Half Marathon Hat Trick: October 15-16! This is a 5k, 10k, and Half all in one weekend! I’m crazy!
- Disney Princess Glass Slipper Challenge: February 26! A 10k and Half Marathon in one weekend
- Israel!! April!
Thank you for reading this and sticking with me through my crazy year! Lots of updates are coming for this blog and over at daniellewilson.online, so keep checking back.