This quilt has been sitting at my mom’s house for about 10 years, and every fall we say that we’ll finish it. So glad we finally accomplished that goal!!
We found out that my 15-year-old self didn’t understand adding seam allowances for applique, so we decided to do a zig zag stitch around each leaf instead.
I also wasn’t good at cutting squares, so some of the backings for the leaves were too small or too big. But overall, I think it looks good! And we’re just happy that it’s finished in time for Thanksgiving.
I quilted around the leaves and added the veins suggested by the pattern. Then I added the leaf decorative stitch to the binding – I hadn’t thought about using decorative stitches on a binding until I heard Christa Watson suggest it on the Modern Sewciety podcast. I think it’s the perfect finishing touch.
Ok – all the photos are below. I’ve added a few links for reference.